Sunday, August 16, 2009

This Just In - My Body Fat is Wrong

I went out last night with a group of girls and one of them just happened to be a professional body builder and personal trainer. This girl was jacked. Her biceps were bigger than Nick's. Anyway, I was talking to her about p90x and the fact that my body fat % is hovering around 25%. The first thing out of her mouth was "No way." She said that the only way to accurately measure body fat is through a water displacement test. It's either that or calipers.

So the link I posted on my first day about measuring body fat...yeah, don't use it. Since I don't have access to a pool or fancy equipment, Nick and I went to Bed Bath and Beyond this morning to get one of those scales that automatically calculates fat percentages.

We found one for $59.99 but there was a warning on the package that pregnant women shouldn't use it. No, we are not pregnant yet, but what's the point of buying a scale that potentially can kill you. We splurged and bought the Weight Watchers model which was $10 more. When I got it home and unwrapped it, it too had a large red stop sign sticker on the face plate that says "Not for pregnant women." What the hell?

Anyway, getting back to the point of my post, my body fat is 18.7%. So yes, I guess I was pretty wrong. I'm happy with the new results of course, but I wish I hadn't been so dumb in the beginning. I really would've love to have known what my percentage body fat was on day 1 so that this whole thing was accurate.

Sorry for the error guys. If you are planning to do this program, invest in one of these scales.

No comments:

Post a Comment