Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day 1 - Chest & Back

Nick and I rolled out of bed at noon on Saturday. This was supposed to be my first day of p90x. I was a little unmotivated because it was so late in the day, but I said I was going to do this.

The first thing you are supposed to do is take several full-length body shots as your "before" pictures. I feel like I am on the biggest loser, not because I am 300 lbs over weight, but because my pics are lame. Nick agreed that a sports bra from high school isn't the most flattering piece of clothing. He was right.

I know these are terrible. But, I guess that is the point. I can only go up from here.




















My measurements on Day 1:

Weight: 119lbs
Chest: 33"
Waist: 27"
Hips: 34.25"
Right Thigh: 19.5"
Left Thigh:19.75"
Right Arm: 9.5"
Left Arm: 9.5"
Body Fat: 25.5% (if you want to calculate your body fat and don't have calipers, visit this website to do it mathematically with your measurements.)

Now that the pictures were taken, it was time to start the workout.

p90x consists of 12 DVDs that you repeat in a specific sequence over 90 days.

Day 1 - Chest & Back
I started crying a little inside when I began to put together the at-home chin-up bar we bought. I've never done a chin-up or pull-up in my life--I failed all of those fitness tests in elementary school--so why did I think I could actually do one now? I couldn't even put the bar together, and then I started whining. Nick laughed.

He grabbed the Iron Gym Bar away from me and helped me install it in our family room over the library door. p90x sells one, but I got this brand at Dick's Sporting Goods for $29.95. They also sell a model for $39.95, but the only thing additional it has with it is "extreme." We didn't know what "extreme" meant exactly, so we decided to go with the cheaper model. *Note - If you're a dude, make sure that your door frame is steady. Nick tried to hang on it and then do a one-armed chin up (his wrist is broken), and I thought the whole thing was going to come crashing down. The bar held me though, and I was now ready for the workout.

The first DVD was queued up, and Nick was right beside me like the supportive husband that he is, not with his workout clothes on, but instead sprawled out on the couch, feet up on the coffee table, with a plate of bacon, eggs, toasted sour dough bread sitting on his lap. "I'll write your reps down on a piece of paper and keep you motivated." Good idea Nick.

The Chest & Back workout was so awful that I feel like someone took a meat tenderizer and played my ribs like they were a xylophone. The only thing that made it remotely fun was Nick bagging on Tony Horton (the coach).

Tony uses the word and phrase "X-LIKE and BRING IT" (in caps because he shouts them at you in a Matthew McConaughey drawl) throughout the entire video. T-Bag also brags about how much better he is at life than you, but then reassures you that everything will be okay if you suck. I was totally motivated.

The work out was all push-ups, pull-ups, and chin-ups. If it makes you feel better to know, I couldn't do hardly any of it. I whined and whined and whined, but eventually finished the workout.

Soreness started setting in about an hour after. This morning, I could barely get out of bed , having to roll to the side just to push myself up.

1 day down, p89x to go. X-TREME!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment